Get Millennial savvy or face the consequences is the leadership message of the moment.
Why? Because over 20% of the global population are Millennial’s and they have passion, innovation and creativity.
They are the next generation of leaders and managers and they are already knocking on the door of opportunity. Millennial’s aren’t kids anymore. At least some of them aren’t. The first Millennial’s were born in 1981. Today, the oldest of this generation are 39 years old and many are now over 25 years of age.
As with all generations they have been shaped by the circumstances that surround them in their formative years. Like the Baby Boomer and Gen X, Millennial’s base their life decisions on their values system developed in these early years.
Many Millennial’s are fast becoming the high potential leaders of your workplace. To understand them, we must first understand the times that shaped them.
• Millennial’s have no personal reference for a time before ATMs, DMs, PCs, DVDs, MTV, MP3, and SUVs!
• Millennial’s have never known adult life without mobile phones or the internet. Their world has always included bottled water, overnight package delivery, and instant messenger.
• They were born at a time where the economy was growing at a rapid pace and jobs were plentiful.
So what does this all mean?
The key to managing Millennial team members who are your future high potential leaders is to understand their values and what they want from their job including:
• Being respected as an equal
• Collaboration and teamwork
• Clearly defined tasks and expectations
• Opportunities to be innovative and creative
• Exciting and challenging experiences
• To ask questions and challenge assumptions
• To be engaged quickly, kept busy and given ongoing, immediate feedback.
Engage them and they will not only stay but be a power-house of ideas and innovation within your organisation.
Fail to understand them and they will go elsewhere.
The message is clear – get Millennial savvy and do it now so they can become your future leaders today!